The profession or science dealing with the prevention and treatment of diseases and malformations of the teeth, gums, and oral cavity, and the removal, correction, and replacement of decayed, damaged, or lost parts, including such operations as the filling and crowning of teeth, the straightening of teeth, and the construction of artificial dentures.
Dentists carry out the following tasks:
- Remove decay from teeth and fill cavities;
- Repair cracked or fractured teeth and remove teeth;
- Straighten teeth to correct bite issues;
- Place sealants or whitening agents on teeth;
- Give anaesthetics to keep patients from feeling pain during procedure;
- Write prescriptions for antibiotics or other medication.
Jobs directly related to the degree
- DentistDental Hygienist
- Dental Assistant
- Dental Technician
Good to Great by James C. Collins
Cure tooth decay: Heal & prevent cavities with nutrition by Ramiel Nagel
Bennet Omalu, Alexander Fleming
Department of Health Bursaries, HCI (Hosken Consolidated Investment) Foundation Bursary